Well I finally made the first step and overclocked my Core 2 Duo the other day. Nothing really agressive, though. I went from a 266Mhz FSB to 333Mhz, which gave me an ending result of ~2.3Ghz. The memory multiplier I set at 2.0 which will run my memory (for the math challenged) at 667Mhz. Reportedly, my memory runs at 4-4-4-12 timing modes up to 667Mhz but for some reason my Gigabyte S3 motherboard didn't set it at that. So now its running at 5-5-5-15 (well I think tis 15...never remember that last number).
In any case, I haven't done any "official" benchmarks yet but I did manage to install F.E.A.R. which is a pretty standard FPS benchmarker these days. Running at HIGH settings for both CPU and graphics, I pulled out an average of 92 FPS. The lowest recorded was 42 and the highest was about 140. Not too shabby at all!
Since my memory is only set to run at 667, Im a bit leary about running it at any higher speeds. I guess I could test it and see what potential it really has past its recommended speed but Im not looking for much. I know the CPU can do more but right now Im a bit limited by my RAM (it sucks having a budget!).
But all in all the performance out of the box of this CPU is amazing. 500Mhz overclock from stock straight outta the box and without a hiccup at all.
Monday, January 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment